Sunday, April 24, 2011

Is Okinawa really worth visiting?

Question:


I am currently living in Osaka teaching English conversation at a school here. In the summer holidays my friend and I are planning a big trip to see as much of Japan as we can, but is Okinawa really worth it on a tight budget when most of what we want to do is just have fun and experience the social aspects of Japan?

I've heard great things about it, don't get me wrong, but we want to be active, i.e., theme parks, historical sites, parties, festivals etc. It seems to me that it's just a nice place to relax when you're retired. I know there are a few sites in Okinawa that are important historically, but considering them alone, is the effort of getting out there worth it? I may be repeating myself but does Okinawa offer something genuinely unique?

Please be honest. I'd love a run down of what it's like and stuff to do if possible, otherwise just put yourself in our shoes and make a judgement.

Thank you for your answers in advance. Travel websites seem to be quite messy and there aren't many overviews out there taken from someone like me, so I'm having trouble getting the big picture.

Also, if you have any other MUST-see recommendations for elsewhere in Japan I'd enjoy hearing those.

Cheers (:

Answer:


Yes it is. Aside from the beautiful beaches, Okinawa has lots of historical & cultural architectures that are UNIQUE and different from the ones you see here in mainland Japan.
There is the Shuri castle in Naha which is a Ryukyu style castle.
http://www.planetware.com/i/photo/the-re…

There are also theme parks like Okinawa world. It's not a theme park like Disneyland or Universal studios, it's a historical and cultural theme park.

There are also lots of active sports and extreme activities in Okinawa like kiteboarding, jet skiing, diving, etc. Beach isn't just a place to relax, it's a water playground too.

Iriomote is a jungle lush island. There's a national park here where you will see a unique rare animal that can only be found there, the Iriomote yamaneko.

Taketomi is a cultural rich island. With Ryukyu villages, houses and architectures.

~~It could be really costly to visit Okinawa. But yes it's worth it. Lots of unique and different things to see and experience.

But if your budget can't afford, there's Kyushu that you can explore. Fukuoka, Nagasaki, Kagoshima, Kumamoto, Miyazaki, etc. My personal favorite is the Nagasaki. It's tropical, traditional and much laid back than most places in Japan.

No comments:

Post a Comment