Sunday, April 24, 2011

How many US dollars should I bring for a year in Japan?

Question:


I'm planing to go abroad in a year and I don't know how much currency I should bring. I know there's a difference between the US currency and that of Japan, so I'm unsure if there is an amount that I would be fine with. While there I'll be commuting by train and shopping-mostly minor things, because I will be staying with a host family.

Answer:


The big question is, are you willing and able to get a part-time job? (On a student visa in college, you may be able to work up to 20 hours a week.) When I went in college, I worked maybe 10 hours a week, and was able to pay for all my extra expenses (train pass, lunches, stationery addiction) and a couple of trips. If that's the case, you'll want about $500 just to get you started.

If you won't work, then ask your program about how much the train pass will cost. Will you need to rent a bicycle storage place at the station? Other than that, I'd budget 500 yen/day for lunch and snacks, and 2500 yen /week for miscellaneous shopping, and it'd be really nice to have a cushion in case you have extra expenses (need to buy new shoes or something).

As for the "situation" -- seriously, it's pretty much under control in most of the country. The prefectures hit by the tsunami are still struggling, and of course, 100 km around the power plants is not the best place in the world to be. But otherwise, people pretty much have it together. (Barring another major earthquake or something else going wrong.) Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment