Sunday, April 24, 2011

Question about loss of Japanese citizenship?

Question:


OK, here's my dilemma: Currently I hold Japanese citizenship, but I am considering obtaining an EU citizenship since I live in Europe and plan to live here for many years to come. Anyway, if I do so, I will "automatically" lose Japanese citizenship, since the Japanese government doesn't recognize dual citizenship.

So my questions:

1. If I never say anything to Japanese officials, will they find out anyway? I have a Japanese passport now, so theoretically I may continue to use that until it becomes invalid, right (which is like for another 10 years)?

2. If I ever decide I want my Japanese citizenship back, how hard (or easy) will the process be?

Thanks!

Answer:


Although I know that "the Japanese government doesn't recognize dual citizenship", I don't understand "I will "automatically" lose Japanese citizenship", which sounds the Japanese government will cancel your registration as soon as you become an EU citizen.
Btw, you don't have any Japanese friends who are married to Europeans? Try to ask them about their children. (I know many halves/2nd generations having multiple passports... from Fujimori, former president of Peru, to Hikaru Utada)
--------
If you speak/read Japanese, don't be lazy. There're so many wibe sites where you can search by "二重国籍". Here you go; http://search.yahoo.co.jp/search?p=%E4%B…

No comments:

Post a Comment