Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Is Japan an unsafe country to go to?

Question:


I had originally planned on going to Japan as a foreign exchange student in the year 2012-2013 (with a departure in August). Now, the nuclear problem has been raised to a 7 (before it was a 5) which is the highest it can go.
My mom told me that she's not letting me go anymore because the radiation will bad, and it could effect my chances of having kids when I'm older. So, I have to choose a different country.

I had been really set on Japan, it has a beautiful language and culture, so it feels like it's being torn away from me. My mom said that even if my exchange program were to allow me to go, she still probably wouldn't let me because of the levels of radiation and the hazards.

But, if I did go, the chances are most likely I'd get placed down south, and I don't think it's too badly effected down there, though marine life might be slightly unsuitable in that region.

My application has to be submitted (with my country choices) by the end of May. I have to make a decision, so please help me! Thank you!
By the way, I'll be leaving at the end of August in 2012 (I would like to emphasize that) and I'll be in Japan for 10-11 months.

Answer:


I was originally planning to go to an area in china near Japan in june of this year, but now my mother won't let me go anymore. Honestly, i feel that it's not that big of a deal, and I was really put off when our trip was cancled too. Still, i know plenty of people who are still going to China this may, even with the nuclear problems. As for Japan, I've been following the news and they;re saying that as long as you don't go into the evacuation zone (30 km radius, i think) the level of radiation isn't high enough to harm humans. I'm pretty sure that they;ve already blocked off the major leaking point too. Besides, by August of next year I'm sure it will have blown over. The radiation is spreading all over the world, soon it'll be everywhere, and diluted. Chernobyl and those two atomic bombs dropped in Japan in WWII released much more radiation than this leak, but in WWII no one really knew about radiation and just went on with their lives. I think going to Japan as a foreign exchange student would be a once in a life time experience and you shoud definately try to convince your mom. As you know, Japan has a very unique and interesting culture so if it were me I would definately go for it.
Hope this works out :)

No comments:

Post a Comment