Wednesday, April 13, 2011

What foods should I eat/avoid to help reduce effects of radiation when I go to Tokyo in a couple of weeks?

Question:


I'm due to go to Tokyo for 2 weeks, and have heard that radiation has contaminated some foods. I'm worried about radioactive isotopes being absorbed by my body so was wondering if anyone knew which foods I should avoid, or if there is anything I can take/eat that helps counteract any possible effects? I will probably try not to eat seafood or milk, and will drink green tea because I've heard that the antioxidants help absorb free radicals, but any other suggestions would be good. Thanks.

Answer:


Japanese people are really super-consumers when it comes to food safety, and I don't think any radioactive food will make it to the grocery stores, let alone the restaurants. I think those farmers are having to dump their produce and milk.

If you want to play it extra safe, don't eat any seafood. (Sob, are you sure you want to play it that safe? Japanese cuisine is very famous for seafood, and *probably* a couple of meals wouldn't be any more dangerous to your long term health than sitting in a smoky bar for a couple of nights.) Eat stuff with iodine in it, not actual iodine. Seaweed and that sort of things was probably harvested MONTHS ago, and should be perfectly safe.

Also, educate yourself. What are the levels of radiation reported? What is a dangerous radiation level? Keep an eye on the news to see if there are further problems with the nuclear plants, and if the wind is bringing more crap south.

In general, though, Tokyo should be quite safe to your long-term health.

No comments:

Post a Comment