Sunday, May 22, 2011

Japanese Gift-Giving Custom?

Question:


I'm leaving for Japan in about a week for a two-month internship at Saitama University. Am I expected to give a gift to the head of the lab, or to his assistants who are picking me up from the airport and helping me get settled into the dorm? Are there any other customs that I should be aware of when traveling to Japan?

Answer:


It's nice to bring some items from home that can be shared (called "omiyage" in Japanese), but they can be small things like key chains, postcards, or even local snacks. It can be nice to have a stash of items in case someone does you a favor while you're there and you want to offer them something. Seasonal candy or regional specialties are easy and go over well.

Ganbatte kudasai (good luck)!

~ Stacy

No comments:

Post a Comment