Sunday, May 22, 2011

Living and Working in Japan?

Question:


I have been learning Japanese for a while now and I have a love for the country having been there on holiday a few times. (no package deals! we travelled around)
After I leave university I would like to live over there so obviously a job is needed :)
A levels - photography, maths, further maths (AS), chemistry(AS) and physics.
Uni - will most likely be studying physics.
so I need some help, preferably from someone who has worked over there or is going to .... what jobs are best to get into in my position? and how would I go about looking/applying for one?
Also I've been looking into teaching English in Japan but there are so many places I have no idea where to start !! PLEASE HELP !!!!

Answer:


1. Get a working holiday visa so you aren't beholden to a given employer and can take any type of job you like.

2. Don't overlook run of the mill jobs, working in a bar, being a lifty, etc., may be more interesting than being stuck in a English conversation parlor. If you really like Japan, then getting the lay of the land and learning the language is more important than making as much money as possible. Even if you are just a dishwasher, you will get meals.

3. If you have #1., then go to Japan and find a job, don't get roped into a ESL contract for a year when your visa status makes you more desirable than people they would have to sponsor.

4. Take the transition from working holiday to your subsequent visa status into consideration as soon as you decide you would like to stay longer than a year.

No comments:

Post a Comment