Friday, December 16, 2011

Getting Discouraged Learning Japanese and Korean :(?

Question:


I've been listening to Japanese music and watching anime since I was 12 years old (I'm now 16). I grew to love it and love everything about the language! Once in a while I'd listen to a Korean song and enjoy that too. Now almost a year ago, I completely fell in love with Korean music as well! I feel in love with the language, just as I did with Japanese! I've learned all of the Hangeul, and my Korean friend says my pronunciation is pretty good! I've practiced it so much! A couple weeks ago, I decided that I really wanted to become serious about these languages. I finished learning all the Japanese Hiragana and Katakana, and I learned the meaning of almost 100 Kanji. I still listen to Japanese and Korean music every day, and it takes up about 80%, if not more, of the music that I listen to. I know how to say quite a lot of a beginner and Japanese, and when I listen to Japanese a lot sounds "familiar" since I've been listening to Japanese so long. Unfortunately, my high school doesn't offer these languages. I'm in Spanish 3 Honors at the moment, and I do pretty well in it, but I just don't have a passion for it. I know it'd be so useful since I live in the U.S., but I just don't have the drive to become fluent. :/ My dream is to one day become fluent in Japanese and Korean, but recently I've read that these are "useless" languages. :( I don't recall hearing anyone speak Japanese where I live, and there's only a few Koreans. I have my Korean friend at least, but what about Japanese? I have no one to practice with. :( Regarding career uses, I don't plan on running a business or anything, and I don't think I'd make a good English teacher as I feel like being a teacher wouldn't suit my personality. Plus I don't think I'd really enjoy being a teacher. :( Hearing all this negativity about how these languages are pointless to learn has greatly discouraged me. My motivation has dropped, and I feel depressed. Luckily my family supports me, and my mom got my Rosetta Stone Japanese for Christmas! So my question is, will I be able to do anything with these languages? Will I be able to become fluent if I barely know anyone I can practice with? Is this just a foolish dream of mine? Please give me some motivation back. :(

Answer:


Well, its not really pointless if you enjoy the music, it supports a hobby. People learn languages that aren't practical all the time. Try finding people you can talk to online maybe. Skype or some similar voice chat service.

No comments:

Post a Comment