Friday, December 16, 2011

While speaking Japanese, should I be making an effort to use "ora/boku" rather than "watashi"?

Question:


I'm starting to learn Japanese, and most resources tell you to use "watashi". However, watashi is a feminine form and I'm a man. I have come across male characters in anime using watashi, but while in Japan I was laughed at for using watashi (I think that's why they were laughing).

So should I be substituting "ora" or "boku" for watashi? Also, are there additional connotations to ora or boku? I read that ora was a "rough" way to say "I". I don't particularly want to sound rough :-P!

I make a long story short, which form would be best to use, and how important is my choice?

Sorry if I've rambled. Thanks in advance.

Answer:


It is true that "watashi" is considered to be more of a feminine form used by girls/women, and I can understand why some people around you made fun of your uttering "watashi". However, if you were a man over 20 years old, which I assume you are, it would be best to stick with "watashi" in a formal conversation/writing.

Actually, it is standard practice for men to opt for "watashi" in formal situations, especially in a business environment. If you are working in an office and should say "boku/ora/ore" instead to your superiors, you are guaranteed to offend them.

On the other hand, you might want to use "boku or ore" when you are holding an conversation among your friends. If a man utters "watashi" in informal situations, he might run the risk of coming across as feminine or pretentious even.

No comments:

Post a Comment