Friday, June 24, 2011

Has anyone done the JET program or know about it?

Question:


I'm only 16 so this doesn't really apply to me yet but when I finish uni I want to do the JET program for a year. I'm really interested in japan and I'm learning Japanese at gcse level at the moment but I was thinking about moving to japan when I am older, but I want to have an experience living there in case I change my mind. I heard that you have to get a special degree to apply for it, also if anyone has done it can you tell me about your experience :-)

Answer:


You a Bachelor's degree/4-year degree (or whatever the equivalent would be in your education system) to apply for JET. The topic of your degree is absolutely not important for JET -- I have a degree in anthropology and my JET orientation session was filled with people with degrees in Asian studies, computer science, biology....you name it, someone there probably had it. You do not need to speak Japanese for JET, but I do recommend that you keep learning because it will make your daily life easier. You should also check your country's official JET Program website for more information on what you would need to do to apply for JET.

It is very difficult for foreigners in Japan to find jobs outside of English teaching. For the majority of jobs, you will need to speak Japanese fluently and be able to offer something a native Japanese applicant can't offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment