Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Would a Japanese person find this weird? ?

Question:


I am going on exchange to Japan for one month, and I have a question that may sound a bit strange: would my host mother find it very weird if I were to hug her when i arrive, and then when I am leaving Japan at the end of the exchange? I've been told that hugging isn't really done in Japan, and that emotions aren't really displayed. What about the grandmother that lives with the family? I just want to be sure, so I don't freak them out, because I know I will get really teary when I have to leave.

Answer:


Hug them when you leave, but not when you first meet them.
Bowing would be more appropriate with the saying "osewa ni narimasu," when you first meet them,
especially if you're a guy.

You sound like such a kind person! Your host family should be happy to have an exchange student like you :]

No comments:

Post a Comment