Saturday, July 9, 2011

How often do Japanese people bath?

Question:


I'm not trying to be racist or ignorant. It's just that I'll be studying abroad in Japan next year, and I need to know how often it would be polite to ask to use my host families bath/shower. I hope no one is offended by my choice of wording or my seemingly rude question.

Answer:


Daily. Without fail. My youngest daughter usually likes to take a shower as soon as she gets home during the summer and then a bath at night.

Most likely you will be offered to use the bath first. Remember to wash before you get in. Well, at least rinse very well, but washing would ensure the water stays clean. You see various levels of effort of the rinsing, and I have seen older guys at my country club just plop right in without making any effort at all.

Our homestay student wasn't too keen on the bath, even though we offered to let her go first. She preferred a shower. No big deal, I'm the same way. I may get in the bath sometimes during the winter, but other than that, it's just showers.

No comments:

Post a Comment