Saturday, July 9, 2011

Need help plz read(Japanese cultural differences)?

Question:


There is a Japanese restaurant that I really want to work at. Other than the Japanese chefs everyone is young white and good looking. So work experience and me not being Japanese shouldn't hurt. How should I approach asking for a job there. What specific differences should I take in applying. All my friends went in there looking for a job and they all said the owner yelled at them then proceeded to pretend to talk on the phone. A help wanted sign has been up for weeks now.

Answer:


I worked at one for several years. First off, don't assume they are Japanese. Many of them are run by Koreans, although there are a couple out there with Japanese owners.

Just go and apply. Expect to share your wages with all the other servers and chefs if it's a cook-in-front-of-you place. The chefs will get 50 percent of your tip. The waitresses usually got between 10-15 percent. I literally walked out with less than half of my own tips every night. Other nights when it was slow, the owner gave everyone 30 USD if we didn't make that much.

Each place is different... I know this.. but they all typically run almost the same. Just apply. That's all you can do.

No comments:

Post a Comment