Sunday, May 15, 2011

How much are Docomos (or AU phones etc) in Japan when you sign on a contract? (I'm going on an exchange)?

Question:


Hey guys,

I'm going to Japan in 2012 for a short four month exchange to Sophia University in Tokyo, Japan and I had a few inquiries about cell phones. I've read a few exchange blogs so I do know that I will most likely end up buying some sort of cell phone with a contract which I will have to terminate for a fee of 9950円 or so when I leave. Now my question, how much are the phones themselves?

For example, the Docomo SH-01C right now costs 64,000 円 or so which is like about $700. However, if I sign up on one of their 24 month contracts, I heard that there's a massive discount? How much would that discount be? I heard that sometimes the really old phones will end up being given out for free (with a much lower current worth price of course). Anyways, I just want to know so I can start making out my budget.

Also, if anybody has personal experience, I have one more question. If I do sign up on a 24 month contract, obtain the phone at a discounted price, and then pay the termination price, then I end up getting the phone for fairly cheap. So I was wondering if there are any limitations? In Canada, I believe we can pay our termination fee minimum of 7 months after we signed the contract. This is to prevent people from constantly signing up for phone contracts, obtaining the discounted phone, and then simply terminating the contract for the fee. So if it's possible, I do want to sign up for a contract to get a discounted Docomo (or AU etc) and then pay the 9950円 or so termination fee at the end of my four month term. Anyways, if anybody has personal experience with this I would appreciate your help!

Answer:


There are so many cell phone plans and phones in Japan. It's difficult to tell you how much it is in general.

Phones are usually 20,000-70,000 yen or so. I don't think there are many "free" phones now because the rule has been changed.

>So I was wondering if there are any limitations?

I think there are some limitations. But it depends on each plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment