Saturday, March 26, 2011

How do you say ironically and ironic in Japanese?

Question:


For ex:
Ironically, the kanji for kirei is not so pretty (just in my opinion).
That was supposed to be ironic.

How would you translate the above sentences?

Thanks in advance.

Answer:


"ironically" can be translated to "皮肉なことに hiniku na kotoni/ 皮肉にも hiniku nimo"
But since it's your personal opinion, I don't think "ironically" fits the sentense...
I'd rather edit your sentense as follows.

"綺麗 toiu kanji wa watashini totte kirei "beautiful (different from "pretty") " to iu inshou o ataenai. mushiro "ugly" to iu kanji ga suru."
(The kanji 綺麗 doesn't give me an impression of "beauty". It even looks "ugly" to me)
*... to iu kanji ga suru --> have a feeling of /that

--------- OK, let me give you an example;
"watashi wa tofu ga daisuki deshita, GF ga sono kanji no imi o oshiete kureru-made wa....
'kusatta mame'? ima wa mou suki dewa arimasen. hiniku-na koto.. iie 'higeki' desu."
(I used to like tofu really much until my Japanese GF told me what the kanji 豆腐 literally meant. 'rotten beans'? Thanks a lot! )
That's irony.... or tragedy

No comments:

Post a Comment