Saturday, March 26, 2011

TOYS FOR HOPE - Tsunami Relief Charity for Kids?

Question:


Although this is not a question, I thought I would post it to see if anyone would be interested.

As you all know, the March 11th, 2011 Tsunami devastated the lives of thousands of people living in the Tohoku region of Japan. Countless of these victims were children who lost friends, classmates, their houses and members of their families. It is something that they will carry with them for the rest of their lives and for ones so young, it's hard to imagine their grief. At the time the Tsunami struck, many children were just getting ready to leave school. It was Friday, and they were ready to have a fun weekend days before the end of school. Many were probably thinking they would play their Wii, Playstation, Xbox or DS as soon as they got home. Many probably wanted to go to the park to play baseball or soccer, or play with their dolls with their friends. But the Tsunami took all of this away.
Now they have nothing.

I have always enjoyed reading the questions people post on Yahoo! Answers in the Japan forum. I like reading answers by our top contributors, Samson, TheCheapest, Aya, Carl and even Area52. I know that these people are just a small number of the people whose heart goes out to those who lost everything.
Now, I am just another poster who is just the same as everyone else here. I worry so much about these people in Tohoko and I want to do what I can to bring at least one smile back to a life that was devastated.

I am just one woman but I wanted to do something...

So, I am starting a charity and if anyone out there wants to support it, you are welcome. It is called TOYS FOR HOPE and is built around gathering toys and donations for toy purchases for the children in the prefectures affected by the Tsunami.
At the moment, all I have is a facebook group. But please join to support its cause. I have listed an address accepting toys that will be delivered to children at various shelters in Tohoku.

TOYS FOR HOPE
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=grou…

Thanks for your time. Together we can make a difference in kids lives.
~Yume Ryuu

Answer:


Yume, you are very sweet and very well meaning. I have just one question for you ...

How are they going to play with these things with the very limited electricity up in Sendai, Miyagi and Aomori? From what I understand, most of the evacuation centers have very limited back up generators, and only a few hours a day of electricity. Plus there are thousands of children who are staying in evacuation centers, and many of these centers don't have a TV. Where they do, people are watching for Earthquake information or information about further tsunamis.

I would send a message to toys r us Japan or something, and try to get them to donate alongside your charity. Maybe things like puzzles or jigsaws are better than X-Boxes etc. Also cheaper, and easier to get companies to donate. However at the moment I dont think kids NEED these games. They need food, nappies ... or water :(

I hate to be so negative. BUT I think you need to think this through a little further. BUT I will join your charity on facebook :D

No comments:

Post a Comment