Saturday, March 26, 2011

Is Black face in Japan offensive?

Question:


I've been on the internet and I've read and watched videos about black face in Japan. I find it pretty cool that they are fascinated with hip-hop and black culture but I personally think the black face is a little too much and its offensive. But I've also seen videos where people were debating on whether or not its offensive or not,especially black people, and a lot of people justified that its because they are a homogenous country and they don't have regular interaction with African-Americans like people in the Americas and some European countries. I'm not trolling or anything I just think this is a good topic of discussion and that it can give some food for thought about racism in different countries. So what do you guys think

Answer:


There's a very very very few population of African descent here. So when someone (Japanese) does a black face, it's not intended to offend a certain race or culture. Many Japanese are not even aware black face could be offensive. I haven't even heard of it until few years ago where a pokemon named "Jynx" was accused of racism by the Americans because it has a black face. I don't even think, the creators of that pokemon intend to insult the African Americans.
Also, by the early 2000s, ganguro a certain fashion trend was very famous. It's where Japanese ladies have their skins tan or very dark, and bleached blonde their hair. Then apply dark foundations on their face. You can google it.

No comments:

Post a Comment