Wednesday, March 16, 2011

I planned a trip to Tokyo, Japan this summer. Will I be putting my health at risk?!?

Question:


Will the nuclear reactors in the northeast be emitting enough nuclear radioactive material to cause potential health issues for people even visiting Japan. I will be eating the food in Japan, drinking its water, and staying there for a month at a local Hostel.

I will be traveling there in the middle of July. I feel that in four months' time, the situation in Japan should be much more calm.

I have been planning this trip for over a year. I need some relieving words.

Though, I do need the truth. Any thoughts, inferences or conclusions?

Answer:


Tokyo is getting hit with extremely low amounts of radiation at the moment, winds are blowing east from Daiichi Power Plant for the next several days so most of the radiation will more or less be harmlessly circulated around the pacific where it will lose radioactivity as it travels away from the rods. If they can get power restored today and get everything cooled off in the next few days then the answer is yes, if they don't and it takes a couple weeks for them to get everything resolved then the answer is 95% yes, since 240km is a long way for radiation particles to travel, as soon as they leave the plant they start to becomes less radioactive they disperse and become diluted by the time July hits you will probably get hit by more radiation flying there (5 mrem of Cosmic radiation) then by spending a week or two in Tokyo. Of course if the power plants reactors actually explode with hurricane force winds heading directly towards Tokyo at the exact same time, well then there may be a problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment