Wednesday, March 16, 2011

How can I help Japan without actually donating money?

Question:


I'd like to donate money, but I don't have any, and even for the short amounts of time that I DO have money, it's not very much and I need to use it for things like lunch at school. My dad plans on donating some, but I'd like to help, too. I don't really think that my parents donating their money counts for me, because, as I said, it's THEIR money. Part of the reason I really want to help is because a lot of my favorite TV shows and stuff were created in Japan (comic books/manga and anime). I live in Austin, Texas. I'm pretty sure that the part I live in is the northwest part, but I'm not sure, as I suck at that sort of thing. I guess I'm thinking some kind of volunteer organization, one that accepts minor volunteers. I'm Googling it, also, but I thought I'd ask for help. And no religious organizations, please (considering that it IS the conservative part of Austin, I figured there'd be a few of those around here), as they're most likely Christian, and that would make things quite awkward. I can donate stuff, though. Like maybe toiletries, bottles and toys for the child and baby victims, and recreational stuff for the teenagers and adults (drawing pads or puzzles or something. I've got like 15 1000 piece puzzles that I'll never use. Not an exaggeration there. I really want to donate recreational stuff because I think that it's very important to be able to laugh and have fun, especially in a situation like this). I don't know. I'll probably end up making a list of things I can donate. A place I can bring this stuff to, or a website with an address I can send it to, would be great. And, of course, a place where I can go to help that will let me. Thanks.

Answer:


It sounds like you're in junior high or high school, so it's not likely that you have a job. So it's not a big deal that you don't have money. I love your concern and eagerness to help, that's what counts. Unfortunately right now, those people don't have any homes, food, water, cars- any of the essentials that people need to survive. So they really don't have the need for puzzles and toys right now until they can get some of the mess figured out and some stable shelters and food for people. But in 6 months to a year that would be a great idea to donate those things of yours. You could probably contact the Red Cross near you about that.
You won't be able to actually go to Japan and volunteer your time as you are underage, and they need professionals trained in disaster right now. But you could set up a fund raiser to earn money, walk around to your neighbors and ask if they would like to donate, ask fellow students, ask people outside the grocery store and then donate all the proceeds to the Red Cross or another organization that is active there right now. It's great that you care, I hope you can make a small difference!

No comments:

Post a Comment