Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Are there a lot of Christian musicians in japan?

Question:


okay before i start i'd like to point out that I HATE J-POP! I'm not an anime/manga/music/fanfiction NERD. Anyway, I read that there are Christian musicians in Japan, but how large is that number? i ask because I've been considering translating christian music into Japanese (i would need a japanese person to help me) to help spread the gospel and stuff. But if there is already a good number, there is no reason for me to go through the trouble. Anyone know how large the christian musician group is in japan?

and also, does this sound like a good idea? i'm pretty sure Japanese people are into the robot-singer thing (i know americans are) but would this actually help spread a Christian message?

ONE MORE THING. it would be modern stuff like Tobymac, casting crowns, natalie grant, etc.

Answer:


There are very few Christians in Japan. According to the CIA World Fact Book less than 1% of Japanese identify themselves as Christian.

I lived in Japan for three years and studied Japanese at university for several years before that. I've been in the Japanese community for nearly twenty years and have yet to hear a Christian song on the radio or on television. There are a couple of churches in the city I lived in but to be honest they were mostly attended by expatriate Americans or Brazilian-Japanese. The one exception was the rather large LDS Church congregation with mostly Japanese but I never heard anything resembling pop or rock music there.

Still, given that there are 130,000,000 Japanese I'm sure there would be a demand of some kind. I say 'no harm in trying'. Good luck to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment